7th Rural Health & Research Congress – Call for Abstracts Form
The Health Education and Training Institute (HETI), Hunter New England Local Health District and our Congress partners are proud to present the 7th Rural Health and Research Congress to be held in Tamworth, 5-7 September 2018.
The Congress theme for 2018 “Beyond Distance and Diagnosis” will explore excellence in rural health services and research.
The Congress is held each year in a NSW rural location, providing health staff and researchers with an opportunity to attend a high quality forum showcasing the latest information in rural health.
Delegates and authors come from a wide range of backgrounds including allied health, medical, nursing and midwifery, research, academia, ambulance, justice health and the private health sector.
Submission of Abstracts
The 2018 Congress Organising Committee invites authors to submit an abstract for consideration as either an oral or poster presentation in the program. Abstracts are to address any of the six streams listed below and must contain a predominantly rural focus.
Abstracts focusing on research related to rural health are welcomed and may be submitted for consideration in the most appropriate of the six streams described below. Research abstracts should describe how the results have translated, or could translate, into policy, practice or service delivery.
Abstract Submissions Close Thursday 7 June 2018
Congress Abstract Streams
Please choose the stream that best suits the abstract you are submitting. The concurrent streams provide the framework to discuss new ideas and excellence in rural health practice and research.
In addition, please select one or two keywords from the list below that best describes the area of health care in which your project/research is based. This will allow us to cluster similar presentations together in the program. You will be asked for this keyword when submitting your abstract electronically.
Abstracts must include the following headings and be no longer than 350 words in length
|Concurrent Stream:||Choose the most relevant from I) to VI) above|
|Keywords:||Choose one or two from the list of keywords|
|Abstract Title:||No more than a short sentence required|
|Author/s:||Authors’ first and last name with presenting author in bold. Primary position title (one only) and organisation including city, state, and country. Do not include degrees or professional titles (e.g. Dr, Prof, etc).|
|Background:||Describe the identified issue/problem and its relevance to rural health in your setting. Spell out acronyms in full the first time they appear|
|Approach:||What methods / strategies were used to address the problem|
|Outcomes / Results:||Provide evidence of the impact of your project/research. What was achieved? If research, what were the results?|
|Take Home Message:||How will your project contribute to excellence in rural health services and research? What did you learn? What should others know?|
CLICK ON IMAGE BELOW TO DOWNLOAD TEMPLATE
Important Information for Authors
- Abstracts should link with the conference theme: “Beyond Distance and Diagnosis”
- The abstract will have a maximum of 350 words and be formatted in Microsoft Word, single space, Arial 11 point, in simple text paragraphs without tables or figures. The abstract titles, authors etc. are not included in the 350 word count
- Authors should prepare their abstracts using the above format/template then upload the completed abstract below
- First time presenters are encouraged to submit
- An Abstract Review Panel will select the abstracts to be presented at the Congress using the following evenly weighted criteria:
- The abstract presents new and important knowledge about clinical or health service practice
- The abstract is clear and incisively written
- The abstract promises new information or data to support its case
- The authors directly address the question of its value in a rural or remote context
- Notifications regarding acceptance will be sent via e-mail to the submitting author in late June. Abstracts submitted for oral presentation that cannot be accommodated within the Congress program may be considered for poster presentation
- All authors accepted for oral and poster presentations will be required to register and pay the Congress registration fee in order to ensure their abstract is included in the final program
- Abstracts accepted for presentation will be published in the Congress proceedings and on the HETI website exactly as received and should be checked for spelling and grammar prior to submission
- Abstracts must be original work
- The presenting author will be required to submit a brief biography (100 words).
2018 ACI Award for Excellence and Innovation in Rural Health
The Agency for Clinical Innovation (ACI) will be offering one Award for Excellence and Innovation in Rural Health for an outstanding project/program accepted for the oral presentation at the Congress. This award, valued at $2,000, is designed to promote and highlight the value of innovation in clinical practice and will be awarded for use by the project team, at the discretion of their organisation, to help value-add to the project and contribute to sustainability. The winning project will be showcased on the ACI Innovation Exchange.
Award selection criteria are based on projects which demonstrate:
- An innovative approach to an existing issue
- Resourcefulness and creativity in design, utilising existing resources
- Sustainability through embedding the change within the organisation
- Ability to be taken up by other health sectors
Congress Poster Awards
Awards for the best Poster Presentations will be made during the Congress. Posters will be judged by a panel based on their clarity of content, project/research design, method and appearance. Congress delegates will also have an opportunity to elect their preferred Poster to be nominated for the Peoples Choice Poster Award.
How to Submit
Complete the online form below and press submit at the bottom of the page. Please ensure your Abstract is uploaded using the template provided above. Inquiries about content of submissions, contact: Catherine Helps, HETI Rural & Remote 0467 781 244 Catherine.Helps@health.nsw.gov.au
For inquiries about all other aspects of the Congress, please contact:
Congress & Events Manager
Alignment Event Solutions
0420 636 757